Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I wanted to explore more with a moviemaker something like iShow (I want to become more familiar with that process, since I have only tried it last semester), but thought a documentary. I liked Jennifer’s comment about a montage of landscape photos but I am not sure that would be enough to complete my idea with the music. Maybe I could compose a somewhat slide show with the music and photographs? I looked at photographer Tina Barney and her documentary photography, her style is a then and now. She does pictures of people in the past and then pictures of them now or an up to date picture and puts them side-by-side. Sort of like what I would like to do with Mussorgsky’s music. Use the music Mussorgsky composed for the art back then, but use the music for my pictures composed today. I also researched some more and found David Claerbout he overlapped video and still photography. “He digitizes found photographs and then introduces moving elements, and with them, time. “ (My list Visual Arts Center, p 1) I found that interesting and thought maybe I could try this process (with some guidance of course) but with the photographs that I would create and introduce the moving element.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

OK, good thinking, but collect specific visuals from David Claerbout and Tina Barney and post them (we need to know exactly which photos / videos / installations and WHY you think they are successful).
Start testing out your idea of creating images while listening to music... research others that have done this process. Maybe select a set of your images, open them all in PhotoShop, start the music, work with the imagery and once the music stops, you stop. Is it as abstract as Visual Music or stylized like Oscar Fischinger or narrative like Fantasia? Start Exploring... make stuff.